Located in the heart of Detroit’s Greektown district on Monroe St, our goal and mission at Firebird is to be a true American Tavern; a gathering place to meet for lunch, pre and post events, unwind during happy hour or simply celebrate the arrival of the weekend with your friends.
Constructed in the early 1880’s, this 120+ year-old building has been restored to enhance the handcrafted woodwork and exposed brick while also adding some modern touches like WiFi and HD flatscreen TV’s. This historic building originally housed a saloon operating under multiple owners for the first 20-30 years of its existence. As the years passed and the name of the street changed from Croghan to Monroe St, an auto upholstery shop, a local cafe and an authentic Greek barber shop all called 419 Monroe Street home.
After some careful restoration and slight modernization, we feel we brought the building back full circle to its original purpose and are proud to give you the Firebird Tavern.
“Speramus Meliora, Resurget Cineribus” – “We hope for better things, It will rise from the ashes.”
Consisting of two floors, the main floor features 40+ beer offerings, a reimagined cocktail list, hand selected wines and bubbles and a food menu focusing on shared plates, fresh salads, sandwiches/burgers and entrees; all of which have been strategically chosen with you in mind for lunch, happy hour, pre/post sporting events, etc.
Come in and enjoy the night with us on the weekends on the second floor as local DJ’s spin dance music in a truly one-of-a-kind atmosphere. The second floor will also be available for Private Parties and Corporate Events from 20-150 people. Click here for more information on booking an Event.
Established by Greek immigrants in the 1880’s, historic Greektown continues to beat as the heart of downtown Detroit as its thriving entertainment center.
The traditional center of Detroit’s Greek community, Greektown, was first developed by German immigrants as a residential community in the 1830s. By the 1890’s, newly arrived Greek immigrants moved into the neighborhood during the German exodus and established businesses. Between 1905 and 1910, most of the German immigrants began to move out of the neighborhood into areas further from downtown.
By the 1920s, Greektown was becoming primarily commercial; most of the Greek immigrants moved out of the area, making way for restaurants, coffee houses, boutiques, and small grocery stores, of which some remain today. Over the next three decades, Polish, Italian, Lebanese, Mexican, African-Americans, and some Greeks occupied what little residential spaces were left in the neighborhood. During the 1960s, Greektown was reduced to one block after surrounding buildings, including the Greek Orthodox Church, were razed to provide sites for downtown parking and institutional buildings.
With a few of the original Greek restaurants and shops closing after several decades in business, other non-Greek businesses have opened up in Greektown in the last five years. It might not all be Greek owned anymore, but the spirit, liveliness and sense of community is still alive and thriving in Detroit’s best entertainment district.